What could be the cause of discolored and thickened toe nails?

I am a 54-year old female. I have two toe nails that are discolored, yellowish, thickened on one. One is curving slightly to left on big toe.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. from the description provided it seems, you could be having fungal infection(onychomycosis) of nails. The treatment required is oral and topical antifungals Oral antifungals like itraconazole/ terbinafine/ fluconazole can be used topical antifungals commonly used are clotrimazole, amrolfine, sertraconazole, terbinafine etc. To confirm the diagnosis and to offer an appropriate treatment suggestion, I would request that you upload good resolution images of your affected toe nails. Hoping to hear from you soon. Regards
Follow-up: What could be the cause of discolored and thickened toe nails? 44 hours later
What topical antifungals can I buy over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 days later
Brief Answer: Lotrimin Detailed Answer: I apologies for the late reply. You may use topical antifungal like lotrimin. This is available over the counter. However fungal infection of nail (onychomycosis) will need oral antifungal. Topical agents alone would not be sufficient. Please see your nearest doctor for a prescription. Regards