What could be the cause of dark semen?

I noticed today that when I ejaculated my sperm was a dark yellow and even looked a little brown. Do you know what this might be? I am 49
My semen has been yellow on ocation but this was much darker than ever before.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Common cause of such dark semen is altered blood in the semen. Altered blood can appear brown or darker.

Blood in the semen is known as hematospermia. Prostate infection and disorders is the most common cause of blood in the semen. Other causes include tumors, infections, anatomical abnormalities, stones, or inflammation in many sites throughout the genitourinary system.
Investigations which can be helpful are urine analysis, abdominal and transrectal ultrasound and MRI. Treatment, if indicated, depends upon the underlying cause.

Usually blood in the semen is benign and resolves on its own. If persists, I think you should consider a consultation with doctor who can suggest investigations after clinical examination to find out like cause. And treatment can be proposed according to the cause.

Hope this answers your query. Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.