What could be the cause of blood and mucus in stool with stomach disturbance?

A few days ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with craps in my stomach of the indication that I was going to have to go to the bathroom. When I was in there it took a little bit of time for me to go and when I finally went it was watery. I went back a few minutes later and when I went again I noticed some blood on my tiolet paper. I was continuing to go to the bathroom and every time I would go I had more and more mucus blood that came out and less and less stool. i went to emerg and they did some blood work, urine test and an anal exam and everything came back fine. I was continuing to release mucus blood in the tiolet but it was not enough to change the colour of the water in the tiolet bowl. Everytime I would pass gas I would pass mucus blood on my blood. It has now been about 24 hours since I have had been passing mucus blood but I am very gassy still. I seem to have a lot of gass bubbles going on in my stomach and I am very scared to have a bowel movement in case this happens again. Do you have any idea on what it might be. I do have an appointment with a surgeon on Thursday to discuss having a scope.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 11 hours later

I would first want to give you a brief idea as to what the mucus is and why is it excreted in large quantities.

Mucus is a clear /white/ yellow substance , which has a jelly like consistency, feels slimy and slippery to touch.It is produced in the large intestine, lungs , etc ,. The intestinal mucus has a protective role and helps in passage of the stools smoothly.If this mucus appears in large amounts mixed with blood; we can think of many possibilities.

1. Ulcerative colitis

2. Crohn's disease

3.Diarrhea predominant Irritable Bowel Disease:

4.Bacterial infections and Parasitic infestations :

On reading your query, in view of short duration of illness infection / inflammation is more likely.

Was stool tested on microscope? A course of antibiotic is necessary if infection is proved on stool test.

Else, abdominal examination and tests like colonoscopy may be needed further.

I hope I answered your questions , I would be available for follow up queries as well.