What could be the cause of bleeding from eyes, nose and mouth ?

ENT Specialist
my wife is bleeding from both nostrils, mouth and her eyes. she is in Greece and I can not communicate with doctors, what could be wrong. Her bleeding started one week ago, one nostril was cauterized, did not work, other nostril began to bleed too, then mouth and a little blood from eyes, originall doctor siad she would be hospitalized for 5 days, now says maybe 15 days, nose is packed with some type of baloon packing. Thank you
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: What could be the cause of bleeding from eyes, nose and mouth ? 6 minutes later
my wife is not telling me everthing and I do not speak Greek, could she have a tumor?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 35 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Epistaxis from both nostrils, mouth and eyes indicates a systemic cause such as a deranged clotting profile or a vascular cause. This could be secondary to trauma, infections, vascular disorders, and local tumors or lymphomas is always a possibility.

A Tumor usually has other signs and symptoms in addition and will not be missed on detailed examination and investigations.

A lot of causes can be ruled out by direct examination, blood tests, investigations including CT / MRI Scans, and detailed history and sequence of events.

Epistaxis is a vast topic with many causes. What is important to now for the time being is:
1. Whether her bleeding is under control with the epistat (nasal balloon pack). Other effective packing materials and endoscopic procedures are available if she is still bleeding.
2. What is her hemoglobin level? Severe fall indicates a serious cause. Has she required any blood or blood product transfusion? What is her hematocrit or PCV (Packed Cell Volume) ?
3. What are her vitals? Was she hypertensive? Is she stable now? Is there any fever or breathlessness? Was there any history of nasal obstruction or slight bleeding or is this a massive first episode?
4. Does she have liver disease? Was she on long term medication for arthritis? Her detailed coagulogram is required. Was she on any anti-coagulants?

As long as her bleeding is under control, it should not be life threatening. However the co-morbid or co-existing conditions (which caused this bleeding) may require more attention.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.