What could be the cause of abdominal pain with watery diarrhea ?

Hi- I am a 30 year old female. I have had a burning pain in my abdomen all week ( since Tuesday ) and last night I woke up at 1 am with very watery diareah. I haven't had any runny stools since 7am..its now 1. I still have a tender to thr touch gut however.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later

This sounds like a viral type of gastroenteritis. The diarrhea is triggered by an inflammation of the lining of your gastrointestinal tract. If the pain is very mild, I would monitor for the next 24 hours and observe for changes. Changes that would lead me to recommend you go to emergency would be: fever above 100.5 farenheit, worsening pain, cramping, vomiting or blood in stool.

I recommend the following: Eat bland foods for next 48 hours including bread, plain rice, or toast. Maintain your hydration with something like Gatorade which has some sugar, some electrolytes and some water and get some rest while this works its way out of your body.

I expect the tenderness to resolve over the next 36 hours. If as I mentioned above the pain does not resolve or starts to migrate and settle into your right lower quadrant, I would seek an exam from a physician.

I hope this was helpful to you. I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: What could be the cause of abdominal pain with watery diarrhea ? 6 hours later
Why can't we get rid of the " stomach flu"? Its so awful!!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Generally your body will recover and the normal bacteria that live in your gastrointestinal tract will slowly establish a new equilibrium which will lead to gradual resolution of your symptoms. If this does not occur within 7 to 10 days you should br evaluated again by your physician.

Thanks for your query. I hope I have provided you with some useful information.