What could be the cause for twinge like pain between armpit and waist?

Dec 2012

I have a twiinge pain on my right side midway between my armpit and waist. It started about 10 days ago. Sometimes it's painful and last about one to two hours other times it's just intermittent. The pain does not seem to be deep inside but just under my ribs. I am getting worried as it does not seem to be subsiding.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems like a soft tissue injury Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query, I am sorry for your recent health problems and you are right to be worried as chest pain is always a cause for concern. Right-sided chest pain is often related to lung diseases and also digestive organ problems such as liver, bladder, stomach etc and to a lesser extend kidney. Your symptoms are unspecific but I will try to elaborate on a few most likely causes. In your situation, you might be suffering from - Costochondritis: an inflammation of a rib or the cartilage connecting a rib. It is a common cause of chest pain. Treatment requires only antiinflammatory analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac or acetaminophen. - Pneumothorax: an abnormal collection of air or gas in the pleural space that separates the lung from the chest wall and which may interfere with normal breathing. You will require consultation with a lung specialist - Pneumopathy: Lung diseases such as pneumonia, lung tumor, pleuritis/pleurisy etc are potential diseases conditions that need to be investigated. - Organs such as gallbladder, liver and kidney need to be investigated. You will likely require a chest x-ray or CT or MRI of chest in order to rule out different possible diseases. I suggest you book an appointment to see a primary care physician who may then refer you to a specific specialist depending on initial findings after evaluating you. At this point, it will be wise of you not to ignore this and make sure you see a doctor as soon as you can. I wish you the best and hope you recover and stay strong. Dr. Nsah