What could be the cause for tingling sensation inside ears?

I have a tingling sensation inside my ears, but outside my ear holes mostly when lying down.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Complete ear exam required. See a doctor Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do think you deserve a careful clinical examination of the ears. This becomes more important especially if this is the first time you are experiencing this, or if its of recent onset. Generally, under such circumstances, the cause is not complex. it might be necessary to know if you experience any other hearing difficulties like noises in the ear or pain. Generally, excessive wax production, usually could lead to some itches. This is seen when the ears are constantly being irritated by water, like in those who swim regular. Some infections around the ear could also cause itches. When itches around neighboring areas like the throat, eyes and nostrils are also noted, this should be a simple allergic reaction. If isolated, as might be the case with you, a careful examination of the ear to ascertain a local cause, in my opinion, is the best thing to do. I suggest you get an evaluation by an ENT specialist, in case this has been going on for a long time. Treatment might simply require washing on the ears, or local treatment, with drugs in case a local infectious or allergic process is identified. I do think you need not be that bothered now. It is however compelling to get a complete medical review. thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions in case you got specific concerns. I would be glad making my contribution to your well being. Dr Bain