What could be the cause for thick salivation?

I have a very heavy salvia in my mouth witch is stringy but clear. for over 1 year .I had a stroke 2 years ego I am ok. I am not on heavy pharmasutical just on 20mg waterpill a day. but mega vitamins. I am 79 years old. I do exercise , sleep ok , but I am so tired al the time, 5'2'' and 134 lbs.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: dehydration is probable cause. Detailed Answer: Hello there; Welcome to HCM; Thick salivation or scanty salivation is a sign of dry mouth syndrome or xerostomia. It may be caused by several reasons. Causes may include drugs or medication, dehydration, mouth breathing, Sjogren's syndrome, infection, nerve problems and some cancer treatments or simply can be age related. Dry mouth syndrome is most commonly caused by dehydration or simply drinking less water. i would suggest you to drink lots if water keep yourself hydrated. you can chew on vitamin c tablets or lozenges or drink papaya juice to help increase in salivation.try these measures and please write back to me. i hope this helps; Take care. dr.farah XXXXXXX