What could be the cause for swollen salivary glands on both sides of the frenulum?

After a dental procedure to bone and gum I have had swollen salivary glands on both sides of the frenulum for 5 weeks now. The swelling has subsided but should I be concerned about the amount of time they have been swollen? Thank you. Dr. XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No worries for now, but watch keenly Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Swelling of the neighboring salivary glands as an indication of inflammation. It is important to exclude an infection as a possible cause of the swelling. This is however not a rare phenomenon associated with this procedure. I think antibiotics were for sure prescribed after the procedure. The fact that the swelling is subsiding with no associated adverse consequences is reassuring. In my humble opinion, I strongly suggest you stay calm and watch keenly. In case there decline is swelling becomes too slow or stops, there is an onset of pain or other unusual symptoms, you might have to report to your doctor. Your clinical status and evolution permits me to be optimistic about your outcome, and I really do not think you need to be so worried. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions in case of need. I would be glad making my contribution. Kind regards. DR Bain