What could be the cause for swollen arms and shooting pain in my forearm?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
both my arms are swollen and painful like shooting pain in my forearm ,elbow and my fingers ..i feel like my veins are about to explode.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be due to cervical disc disease. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX The most possible cause for your neck pain and painful shooting pain down the forearm, elbow and fingers is Cervical disc disease with radiculopathy, which means that a protruded intervertebral disc in the cervical spine might be pressing over the adjacent nerve causing you the symptomatology. An MRI scan of the cervical spine will establish the severity of the problem. The initial management of this condition is always by conservative methods which involves the following measures - Avoid Keeping bulky pillow underneath your head and neck while sleeping. Soft Collar: Soft collar allow the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. This can help decrease pinching of nerve roots with movement. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time, because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles. Medicines: Analgesic are needed in the acute phase. Muscle relaxants are essential for relieving muscle spasms once the acute pain subsides. Neurotropic vitamins like METHYLCOBALAMINE (activated Vit B12) or PREGABALIN will help in alleviating the neuropathic pain. Cervical traction: may enlarge the disc space, permitting the prolapse to subside. Intermittent cervical traction for not more than 30 minutes at a time. Physiotherapy: Once the acute phase of pain has subsided, Isometric strengthening exercises of the paravertebral muscles are started. Improving neck strength and flexibility with simple exercises may lessen discomfort and pain. Moist heat can be useful If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, you may need an Epidural steroid injection. Consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow-up: What could be the cause for swollen arms and shooting pain in my forearm? 19 hours later
my left arm is swollen and feels cold.its looking bruised .Also very painful. I also have been feeling pins and needles on my entire left body side.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Vascular compromise is a possibility. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. The only other possibility for a swollen arm which feels cold and painful might be due to a vascular disturbance (impaired circulation) either in an artery or a vein on the affected site. This condition (if present) is a medical emergency and needs immediate treatment. A doppler ultrasound examination of your left upper limb will diagnose this condition. Feeling of pins and needles anywhere in the body suggests neurological disturbance, for which a detailed clinical examination is necessary. Numerous conditions present with same clinical picture. Management of the condition depends on the diagnosis made. So, I suggest you to consult a Neurophysician for the same and follow his advice. I welcome anymore clarification. Good day
Follow-up: What could be the cause for swollen arms and shooting pain in my forearm? 3 days later
I got a venous Doppler of left arm done and the sonographer said everything is fine. and I don't have constant pain anymore but past 3 days I've been only getting sudden sharp pain in my wrist which I have attached a photo and the pain goes down my fingers mostly my thumb, and sometimes I lose power Wilhite holding something with left hand. When I get the sharp pain a vein that runs next to my thumb towards my wrist becomes very noticeable , but the sonographer said there isn't a problem . What do you think it could be?
Brief Answer: Might be due to Nerve problem. Detailed Answer: Hi, Sudden sharp pain in the wrist going down into the fingers (typically into the thumb) and inability to hold things with the hand is suggestive of Median nerve compression at the level of the wrist. This condition is termed as CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME. A direct clinical examination by either an orthopedic surgeon or a Neurologist is necessary to establish the diagnosis. A Nerve conduction study is also mandatory. I have seen the attached picture and nothing seems to be abnormal. The veins will be visible prominently in thin individuals (without much of subcutaneous fat) and is considered to be a normal finding. Hope it's clear for you now. Any more doubts, Please let me know Good day