What could be the cause for swollen and painful testicles?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
My right testicle seems swollen and is painful. It made it hard to sleep last night. When feeling it, it feels more like a tube around the testicle that's tender.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is Epididymo-Orchitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have acquired infection of the Epididymis and Testicle.(Epididymo Orchitis).This is usually secondary to UTI.Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxine and anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily. Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.. Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute . Orchitis takeslong time to get cured hence you will need to take antibiotics for 3-4 weeks. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.