What could be the cause for redness in ear and runny nose?

My son has one ear that is really red and hot to the touch. He's also had a runny nose, been more fussy than normal but hasn't been running a temp. I'm out of town at the moment and can't take him to his Dr. Do I need to take him to the ER or wait until I get back and schedule an apt with his Dr?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. Apply calamine over ear. Give combination of ibuprofen with paracetamol 2 times a day. Wait for 24 hours. In case symptoms persist take him to ER. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. Wishing your child good health. God bless..