What could be the cause for red urine and metallic taste in mouth?

Jul 2016

I am female, have a metallic taste in my mouth and just noticed red urine. I had a really bad stomach bug two days ago that involved diarrhea and vomiting so my diet has been off these past two days. Should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be due to Acute Glomerulonephritis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have metallic taste and hematuria following acute episode of Diarrhoea and vomiting (Gastroenteritis). The cause of hematuria is likely to be due to acute Glomerulonephritis secondary to dehydration due to diarrhoea and vomiting. Please consult qualified Physician for clinical assessment and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis. 1) Haemogram with coagulation profile 2) Serum Electrolytes 3) Renal function tests ( Blood Urea and serum creatinine ) 4)Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen . 5) Routine Urine test Further treatment will be decided by him depending upon results of these tests and final diagnosis. Please drink more water and take Oral Rehydration Salts like Electral (ORS)to maintain electrolyte balance along with anti diarrhoea medicine like combination of Ofloxacin and Tinidazole . Ensure that you are well hydrated and pass sufficient quantity of urine . Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.