What could be the cause for painful stiff neck and heavy cough?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I awakened with a painful and stiff neck. I'm just getting over a two week period of heavy coughing. Should I do something about the neck pain? If so,WHat?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is possibility of acute muscle spasm in neck Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your symptom and history there is possibility of acute muscle spasm in neck or there can be cervical disc compression. This can be aggravated due to persistent cough. Due to compression of this nerve root there is pain associated with it. For these symptoms muscle relaxant with analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started consulting your treating doctor. Till time take rest and continue analgesic available over the counter take rest, and hot fomentation. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. You may need to do MRI cervical spine if symptoms persist. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.