What could be the cause for painful lump behind my ear?

I woke up with the lump at the bottom of your skull behind your ear swollen and painful. What can it be?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Swollen&painful lump indicate ENT infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, The swollen and painful lump at the bottom of your skull behind your ear might be an infected lymph-node most possibly related to recent infection of upper respiratory tract or ear infection. You are reporting to have consulted many doctors; if such consultation was not recently, I suggest to get checked by an ENT specialist to further evaluate your ear, throat and nose. You might need a course of oral antibiotics together with good oral hygiene. Having frequent cough might be related to get easily sick with common cold, or viral infection unless you are taking other drugs (e.g. for hypertension or other disease). I'd also advise to: - keep the air well ventilated and humidified - take 2 pillows when sleeping - start taking stomach medicines together with antibiotics - have a healthy diet All the best! Dr.Alba