What could be the cause for no saliva production from glands?

ENT Specialist
I have no saliva production from my main glands. I have been tested for sjrogrens and sleraderma and they were negative. this has been going on for almost three weeks. drugs I stopped taking threes weeks ago were pprilosec, zantac and valium. I also have a disk problem in my neck 4 of them . an ultrasound of the glands showed no imflamation. what could cause this. these glands are not stimulated by chewing either. the only saliva I have is the small glands working.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: get more investigations done Detailed Answer: Hello, Do you have any salivary gland swelling? Salivary gland may have problem with autoimmune disease too like sarcoidosis or wegeners granulomatosis for that you need to get blood investigations for them , in addition if there is any swelling then fine needle aspiration cytology can be done so that a tissue diagnosis is acheived. What i advice to my patients is that there is no need for any stimulant medicine until you have not undergone any ear or salivary gland surgery. Eat normal food and avoid drinking water in between .but do not decrease water intake in general. Do not use any gargle just plain water gargles will do. The excessive use of these stimulants and chemical causes problem . On and off you can use candies to eat ie to suck . In doubt do reply
Follow-up: What could be the cause for no saliva production from glands? 12 hours later
I do not have salivary gland swelling and I have no other symptoms of autoimmune. I cant chew very well and only can swallow with aid of water. theis started after neck injury with gradual decrease in taste them I broke a tooth. i started physicl therapy with traction and the glands ceased to work that same week, any ideas? i am very desparate for a diection to go in.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 days later
Brief Answer: take salivary stimulants for around 6 months Detailed Answer: Hello, As i said previously this could be because of any injury because of surgery / trauma. Usually such condition improve over a period of 6 months, as the damaged nerves take time to recover. Till that time you will have to take salivary stimulants. You can talk to your doctor for medications. Let me know if you need any other information.