What could be the cause for lump on the left side of my neck?

May 2014

I can feel a lump on the left side of my neck. It's about the size of a pea. It's toward the back side of my neck under the jaw line. I think it's part of the lymph node system, but not sure. I've had an aching in my neck from time to time and it appears to be slowly getting bigger. When I touch it or press in on it it hurts a little. It feel hard.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably an enlarged lymph node due to infection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. A painful pea sized swelling in the neck is most likely an enlarged lymph node of the posterior triangle group. Lymph nodes are part of the immune system and whenever an infection happens, the lymph nodes of the region involved enlarged and as there is development of pain with further swelling signifying that the body is fighting the offending agent. This is also accompanied with inflammation of the region. A non painful lymph node enlargement is more serious as it can be a sign of malignancy. I suggest that you consult your doctor and get examined clinically. You may need to take a course of antibiotics and pain relievers. I hope that answers your query partly. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek