What could be the cause for lower stomach pain? Does this indicate bowel cancer?

Hello there, I'm a 23 year old female and have been having bad stomach problems recently. I have been to the doctor about it and she has told me it could possibly be IBS but I would like to get another opinion before I go back for another check up and I cant seem to find anything online. What's happening is I get a very sharp sore pain on the left side of my stomach this can be down low above my hip or under my ribs then it moves around to other parts of my stomach like my lower abdomen and right side and sometimes it goes slightly to my lower back and sometimes my whole stomach just feels cramped and bloated all together its very un comfortable. It has been happening for over two weeks now I'm getting a bit worried it could be something very serious like bowl cancer I know that's a bit dramatic but I don't know what this could be. My Doctor told me to try an over the counter medication called mintec which helps a little bit but not much. If you could offer some advice I would be really grateful Thanks XXXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You should go for upper GI endoscopy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I went through your history and concluded that you may have peptic ulcer (stomach ulcer) disease. It can be IBS as advised by your doctor, but the diagnosis of this entity requires ruling out of other possibilities. I advise you to go for upper GI endoscopy which is highly recommended for the same. If you do not want invasive test, then barium meal will also suggest the possibility. In the meantime you may try acid lowering agent like omeprazole. If it is ulcer, you will get some relief and it heals by 10 days of therapy. If you feel spasmodic type of pain then may take antispasmodic like dicyclomine in addition to omeprazole. Besides these, avoid spicy and hot foods, do drink cold milk, take the night meal at least 2 hours before going to bed, may keep your head end of the bed elevated... Best wishes
Follow-up: What could be the cause for lower stomach pain? Does this indicate bowel cancer? 2 hours later
Hi there, Thanks for your answer. If it is peptic ulcer disease will this go away or will I have it forever? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer: May need H pylori eradication sometimes Detailed Answer: Mostly it goes away but sometimes persist due to helicobacter pylori infection. That case is also diagnosed simply by urease breath test at specialized centers. If it comes positive, will need 10 days course of omeprazole clarithromycin and amoxycillin to get it eradicated. Many a times ulcers are also stress related, so lowering down former is also important.... Best wishes...