What could be the cause for lack of sleep and buzzing sensation in head?

Hi, My husband is experiencing lack of sleep and buzzing sensation in his head which started when he was driving for about a few seconds and now his sleep pattern is really bad and this sensation has gotten much worse. He saw his doctor who prescribed Ambien and Zoloft and he has had increased anxiety and worse sleep since being on this for 9 days. He wants to get off this medicine immediately I did get him some Melatonin which he will try alone tonight but what else do you think this may be only panic attacks???
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Review from your doctor Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do understand this could be a real call for concern. However, I would love to emphasize on one thing. Ambien and Zoloft are drugs that act in the central nervous system, and rapid withdrawal of the drugs, at times could lead to withdrawal symptoms. I do think the drugs are well indicated for this situation. However, it might be necessary for your husband to revisit the doctor in order to get the dosages of the drugs maybe adjusted. I would insist on the fact that, most patients do not respond to drugs, especially those acting in the central nervous system in the same manner. I would insist on other non medication measures you could use in improving sleep. Avoid Vitamin C containing substances at night (oranges) for they distort sleep. Exercise could very much improve sleep. reduce or stop caffeine containing substance intake at night. reading and watching a favorite movie could help. Persistence of these symptoms could deserve the evaluation of a psychiatrist. Sleep pattern obstruction could be an indication of depression or other psychological disorder. I suggest you consult your primary care doctor again. thanks and kind regards as I wish him the best of health. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions. DR Bain