What could be the cause for high vaginal pressure?

Mar 2013
High up vaginal pressure and/ or rectal pressure.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern Are you constipated, that could be causing an obvious pressure ? Any other symptoms that you are having - for example, indigestion, nausea, pain, difficulty in urination or defecation ? Also, I would appreciate if you could add to your history . Menopause, any surgeries regarding the uterus and / or ovaries or any other important history? SOmetimes, with age, the muscles and ligaments surround the vagina and rectum loosen up, reducing the support, thus leading to a sensation or dragging and pressure while passing urine / motions. I would ask you to have a gynecological consultation - internal check up - per speculum and per vaginum. Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan. This will clarify the diagnosis. Looking forward to hearing from you soon with more details. Take care.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for high vaginal pressure? 14 minutes later
In answer to your questions: No constipation, no indigestion, no nausea, no pain, no difficulty in urination or defecation. Hx: At age 47 had a hysterectomy for enlarged fibroid tumors. At the same time I consented to 1 salpingectomy. I kept the other ovary. About a year ago, I had these symptoms and it turned out that it was caused by my husband using sex "toys". That was discontinued and ever since no problem. Now what?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: It could be mild prolapse of the remnant of the vaginal vault that is kept intact after a hysterectomy. Also, mild bladder or rectal prolapse ( descent from the normal anatomical position ) can cause this sensation. Urinary tract infection can be first heralded by a pressure feeling. A vaginal infection too can cause a similar picture. A vaginal growth or polyp / rectal mass can cause such pressure. A foreign body lodged high up in the vagina, unaccustomed exercise, lifting weights or bending- all these could be probable reasons. ONly after examining you, can the specific cause be determined.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for high vaginal pressure? 11 minutes later
Thank you. I'll see if this continues or increases; and, if so I'll make an appointment with Kaiser
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, if it is not relieved, please do have a check up. Feel free to contact me anytime here. Have a good day .