What could be the cause for headache and walking imbalance problems?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Ct scan reveals old lacunar infarct, bilateral frontal lobe atrophy and ethmoid sinusitis. Which of these are causing my headaches mostly in the late afternoons and mild walking imbalance when walking?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your CT scan findings do not suggest any serious neurological problem. Lacunar infarct means a small area of reduced blood supply to brain, and would require use of aspirin tablets. In addition, any risk factor such as high BP, sugar or cholesterol should be controlled. Frontal lobe atrophy refers to mild shrinkage of brain, which is normal with age (after 40). If the atrophy is severe, memory impairment may occur. Ethmoid sinusitis refers to a sinus infection. Both lacunar infarct and ethmoidal sinusitis could cause headache. Lacunar infarct could lead to imbalance. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What could be the cause for headache and walking imbalance problems? 39 hours later
Can I recover from an old lacunar infarction? Will I regain balance and strenght? What to do?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can recover. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. Lacunar infarctions are minor problems in the brain. You need to be on aspirin and control any risk factors such as high BP, sugar and cholesterol. You should do physiotherapy- regular exercises, gait and balance training, to regain your strength and balance. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: What could be the cause for headache and walking imbalance problems? 7 minutes later
Can I drink a glass of rum say 2 times a week? Now I am controlling smoking around half pack a day.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Both alcohol and smoking can adversely affect brain functions. So, it would be better to reduce or avoid them as much as possible. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)