What could be the cause for having numbness in face after waking up from bed?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
When I wake up in the morning the skin on my face is numb. That is , if I scratch it the sensation of being scratched is retarded Should I be concerned about that?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Numb face-lack of vitamins,facial paralysis... Detailed Answer: Hi, Could you please indicate if the numbed face is the one you have sided at night? - Usually, when you use to sleep on one side during all night long, then, when waking up,that part is numbed. So, you do not feel the scratching. If this is your case, then, there is nothing to be worried about. That is perfectly normal. Another cause could be related to lack of vitamins (especially of group B). So, I'd suggest to start taking multivitamins containing vit B complex. You are telling to smoke, which can damage your nerves. Apart taking multivitamins, I'd also suggest to get a way of limiting/no smoking. I'd also suggest to get checked by a neurologist to exclude the first stage toward "facial paralysis" (trigeminal paralysis). All the best! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have.