What could be the cause for having chronic pain in the perineum area which radiates down the back of both legs?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I am trying to find out why I have chronic pain in the perinium area which radiates down the back of both legs, thigh and calf, and to a lesser degree upward into the buttocks.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to irritation of Lumbar spinal nerves

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms of pain in the perineum radiating down into both legs could be possibly due to irritation or compression of Lumbar spinal nerves. The protruded intervertebral discs might be causing compression of the nerve roots.

This can be diagnosed by undergoing MRI scan of the Lumbosacral spine.

As you have also a past history of Lung cancer, it is also very essential to rule out any secondary deposits in the retroperitoneal region which could be involving the lumbar plexus resulting in the symptoms.

So, a detailed clinical examination and appropriate investigations are necessary to establish the diagnosis of your problem.

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any clarification