What could be the cause for grey saliva when suffering from GERD and sinus?

General Surgeon
IN the morning my saliva is think and greyish in color. I have sinus and GERD but never had this coloration in my saliva
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: its mucous from your sinuses Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. That thick and greyish saliva is actually thickened mucous discharge from your sinus. The mucous is produced continuously and secreted out. In the night due to sleeping in supine position, it is unable to come out and gets thickened, which is discharged in the morning when we get up. This secretion increases in case of sinusitis. The grey colour is due to the dust particles, filtered by your nose, which get struck to that secreation while comming out. Its nothing to worry about, just take steam inhalation 2-3 times a day for a day or two and your sinuses will clear out. Hope that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Regards, Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: What could be the cause for grey saliva when suffering from GERD and sinus? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the reply, I prefer this answer to the ones imagined! I have had a sinus issue for most of my life. During that time I do not remember this occuring. It has been grey for about a week to 10 days. I am currently taking grapefruit extract in drops (for the past 2 years) and the tremendous headaches (vomeiting and needing dark quite areas) have disappeared. Would this change the response?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: no, it wont. Detailed Answer: Hi, Grape fruit extract may not be the reason for change in colour. Thick and greenish sputum is mostly from the sinus cavity. I would urge you to try steam inhalation. Steam inhalation won't affect your treatment... steam is the best mucolytic... Just don't get exposed to cold environment immediately after steam inhalation. Try wrapping the towel that you were using for the process over your face for 2-3 mins, till your face comes back to room temp. Hope that I have answered to all your queries. If you don't have further queries, you may close this discussion and rate the response. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma