What could be the cause for frequent bowel movements?

Apr 2014

I have to go to the toilet often for a poo and feel as if I need to go all the time.In the morning I go as soon as I wake up and then have some breakfast and need to go again.I have taken all sorts of remedies but nothing seems to work. I have had a scan and nothing was found. I feel tired most of the time,I need to sort this out as it is taking over my life.My doctor does not seem interested,can you help?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. You need few investigations like routine hemogram,LFT,Stool test(routine and culture),ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. Irritable bowel syndrome is disease associated with large intestine and exact etiology is not known. There is no specific treatment of this disease. It can be controlled by altering diet pattern,psychological therapy and medicines. You should take plenty of fibres in your diet in the form of salad etc. If you have lactose intolerance you should restrict it. Laxative and antispasmodic can be used. Low dose tricyclic antidepressants are also useful. You should do regular exercise and try to reduce stress in your life. You can also take tablet loperamide SOS. You should avoid cold drinks and high gas forming vegetables like cabbage and cauliflower. You may need psychological counselling if needed. Get well soon. Hope I have answered your question. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX