What could be the cause for elevated sugar levels when suffering from allergy attacks?

Just relocated to Huntsville Al from Los Angeles cal Where year around allergies I suffered from, now I understand that I can experience the same here in Huntsville my other problem is type 2 diabetes controlled with glipizide and metformin, my blood sugars are elevated during one of my allergy attacks(159 to low200 with a1c of 7) explain why blood sugars are elevated during these attacks I have been suffering since before Christmas. Oh forgot to say my diet pretty much the same activities same also moderate activities do not drink or smoke Because I am seven day Adventist there are foods I do wot eat no I am not a vegetarian
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Allergic attack does NOT elevate blood sugar Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. Firstly, A1c is the AVERAGE of 12 weeks' blood sugar levels. An A1c of 7 denotes that your blood sugar has remained grossly uncontrolled most of the time in the past 12 weeks! The ideal Aic is 6 or less An allergic attack does NOT elevate blood sugar level. . It is therefore logical to conclude that each blood sugar test, done during allergic attacks were not elevated due to allergic attacks, but have always been high, even when you did not have an attack. Hence, the doses of anti-diabetic drugs need to be increased. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; order blood sugar test, and- based on the reports- will modify the treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal