What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods?

Question
Dec 8th I had brown spotting for 2 hours. 6 days after that my period was due. it never showed. now I'm 7 days late. Any advice.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: need more details Detailed Answer: Hello, When was your last menstrual period prior to the spotting on Dec 8? Were you sexually active in the last and present month? Did you take any birth control pills in this time? Did you have unprotected sexual intercourse anytime in this period? Please let me know the answers to these queries to be able to suggest you better. Pregnancy is the common cause for absence of periods. Rest could be stress and other causes. Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods? 6 hours later
Yes we were sexually active I'm not on birth control we don't use contraceptives we're married and my prior period was Nov 11.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 39 hours later
Brief Answer: pregnancy is likely Detailed Answer: Hello, I apologize for my late reply; was on leave for Christmas celebrations. Please excuse me. I think it's time for you to do a home urine pregnancy test. You could be pregnant. All the follow up details from your end suggests a strong possibility of pregnancy. Please do the said test at the earliest. If the test is positive, you can go ahead with an ultrasound scan to confirm the pregnancy. If it is not pregnancy, then you could request your doctor to prescribe you progesterone pills to have withdrawal bleeding. Wish you good luck.

Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods? 3 minutes later
ok and I'm actually 10 days late will be 11 tomorrow. Do I have to use morning urine? I bought a first response test

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, use the first morning sample Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes, please use the first morning urine sample to do the test. The result would be more accurate then. Take care and Regards,

Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods? 14 hours later
Ok I took a test it was negative. I know I'm pregnant I can feel the difference in my body. The other doctor said he thinks maybe my high levels were too low. What do you think? Bc there's no other explanation for Brown spotting 6 days before my period was due

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 hours later
Brief Answer: get an ultrasound scan of the uterus done Detailed Answer: Hello, I understand that the test was negative. However, you feel that you are pregnant. At this point, I would suggest you to get a complete Ultrasound scan of the uterus to look for pregnancy. Ultrasound can confirm the absence or presence of pregnancy. If it is not pregnancy, then it can be due to stress, hormonal imbalance or polycystic ovarian disease. Hope this helps you. Regards,

Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods? 35 hours later
hi okay I'm 12 days late but now I'm having bleeding its brownish red with no clots and I'm not having cramps. What's your opinion on this??

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 30 hours later
Brief Answer: it could be normal period Detailed Answer: Hello, It could be normal period that was delayed. However, it would be ideal to get a ultrasound scan done to rule out the exact pathology. Pregnancy can still exist. Only ultrasound can confirm this. Regards,

Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods? 6 minutes later
ok. but I am having no cramps no nothing. my stomach feels full and I'm having mood back pains and I'm extremely tired

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: plenty of fluids orally, and analgesics Detailed Answer: Hello, In such a case, I would prescribe simple analgesics like Motrin or Panadol as and when required for pain. You must also take plenty of fluids orally, and rest adequately. Take care!

Follow-up: What could be the cause for brown spotting before periods? 26 minutes later
ok thanks and one more thing do you think I'm pregnant from everything we've talked about

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: pregnancy unlikely Detailed Answer: Hi, Since you are having vaginal bleeding now, pregnancy is unlikely. Please close the discussion here. Thank you!