What could be the cause for bleeding after a bowel movement in children?

My son has blood (pinkish and red) when i wipe his bum after a poop. It is quite a big smear too. Been two days. Happened ttwo weeks ago too. I have to call the doctor tomorrow but for ease of mind, what could this be?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello & thank you for submitting your question. It is certainly understandable that this is an alarming situation for you. Most commonly, blood can be seen after very hard bowel movements. Also, hemorrhoids, which can be internal or external, can cause bleeding. Also there are congenital conditions that can cause bleeding, but this bleeding tends to be more profuse and regular, also presenting quite early in life. It is good that you are taking your son for an examination by a physician. In the meantime, keep him well-hydrated and his bowel movements soft. Warm soaks in the tub can also help with bleeding, I hope this was helpful & thanks again for submitting your question Sincerely, Dr G