What could be the cause for anal leakage?

I have been experiencing anal leakage for about 2 months. I have to keep some rolled-up tissue next to my anis to absorb it. I had a sigmoidoscopy last week, but the doctor couldn't see anything wrong. After I have a BM I stay dry for a few hours.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Sphincter weakness. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us, I went through your query and understood your concerns. When you have the urge to have a bowel movement, the anus, rectum, sphincters, pelvic muscles, and nervous system must function together to hold a bowel movement in place until you reach a toilet. If one of these is injured or weakened, you may experience fecal incontinence. You must also be able to recognize when you feel the urge to have a bowel movement. Probable cause in your condition would be nerve damage from hemorrhoid . resulting in weakness of muscle around anus. Endo anal ultrasound and defecography helps to know strength of anal sphincter. Bowel incontinence often occurs because the rectal sphincter is less able to handle large amounts of liquid stool. Often, simply changing the diet may reduce the occurrence of bowel incontinence. Adding bulk to the diet may thicken loose stool and decrease its amount. Increasing fiber (30 grams daily) from whole-wheat grains and XXXXXXX adds bulk to the diet. Bowel training teaches you to strengthen the muscles that control when stool is released. It also trains the bowels to release stool at certain times. If you do not respond to medications or other treatment,I recommend neuromodulation. This treatment changes or affects the nerves in the bowel and pelvic floor. Neuromodulation can be done in the office with regular visits or it may be performed by implanting a device like a pacemaker in your buttock. Surgical method for sphincter repair are last option in uncontrolled cases. Hope this information is helpful, feel free to ask further query. Regards
Follow-up: What could be the cause for anal leakage? 18 hours later
Would Kegel exercises help this condition? (where you alternately tighten and loosen the muscles in the urinary and anal tracts). If so, how many and how often? I also forgot to mention that I have diverticulosis, and that the urge to urinate and/or defecate comes on very quickly and very strong. So I don't have much time to get to the bathroom.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Kegek exercise is useful. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, kegel exercise helpful to strengthen your pelvic floor muscle, which strengthen your anal sphincter. Minimum 3 times a day with at least 10 repetitions in each set. Sudden urge and unable to hold are due to weakness of your sphincter muscle, Once rectum or bladder becomes full, inner sphincter(which is involuntary) opens. but outer sphincter(under our control) is the one which is going to hold. Weakness of outer sphincter results in involuntary passing motion. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask further related queries. If satisfied with my answer close the query and rate it. Regards
Follow-up: What could be the cause for anal leakage? 31 hours later
Besides doing the Kegel exercise, is there anything else I could do to help the situation? Would any medication help? From the tone of your answers, I get the impression that there's nothing else that can be done. I find it hard to believe that nedical science has no solution for such a basic problem that has been plaguing mankind.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 15 hours later
Brief Answer: surgical options helpful Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for follow up query, There are treatment options available for your condition. For my patients with this problem first i advice them with conservative measures like muscle strengthening exercise for a month. If that is not going to help them, then i advice them with surgical methods of management, like The surgical options can be considered in four categories: restoration and improvement of residual sphincter function (sphincteroplasty, sacral nerve stimulation, correction of anorectal deformity). Which is going to helpful to them. Hope this information helps you, feel free to ask further queries. Regards