What could be the cause for aching joints and phlegm in throat?

Woke up this morning feeling acheness in my joints and body, had a low grade fever of 99.4F, but it never reached above 100.0F. I have phlegm in my throat with some mucus a yellowish brown color, other mucus is clear or yellow. Is this the flu or does the fever need to be above 100.0F? Thank you Also, I've been drinking lots of water and eating soup along with bananas for snacking.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be flu! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you are currently experiencing. I hope we would be able to help identify the exact problem and help relief you of these symptoms. 1. A temperature of 99.4F is not qualified as fever. It needs to be greater than 100F to be considered fever. This means you do not have a fever right now. 2. The cough associated with flu is often dry cough. It is rarely associated with mucus production.. 3. The muscle aches and joint pains are not specific to the flu. They can happen with so many other disease conditions. In all, I do not think you have a flu based on these symptoms right now. I will lean more towards a possible upper respiratory tract infection caused by a virus. I will suggest you take Tylenol to relieve yourself of the aches. Continue with increased fluids intake and fruits as you rightly mentioned. Also, remember to keep warm.. These symptoms should normally regress within a week. If there is persistence, rising fever, or difficulties breathing, I will suggest that you consider going in for a medical attention. For now, it is simply not very much indicated. A quick question: Did you get a flu shot this year? I hope you find this helpful. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to for more information or clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for aching joints and phlegm in throat? 3 hours later
I have never actually gotten a flu before in my life. I've also never caught the flu as well. I've had infections and mild fevers (below 101.5F), but never diagnosed with flu. Thank you for your response!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you too! Detailed Answer: Thanks for following with me. I wish you a speedy recovery. Let me know if there is something more I can do for you. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for aching joints and phlegm in throat? 1 hour later
I'm still achey today, would you recommend lots of bed rest, or should i get up, move around and stay more active? Temp went up to 100.5 last night, but fluctuates between 99-100.5F. Thank you
Brief Answer: Exercising helps! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. I do hope you were able to get the Tylenol for aches and fever control. The temperature range is not too bothersome for now. If you take Tylenol, please remember you would need to take as much as 1000mg 2- 3times per day. Exercise would help hasten recovery. Please, get out of beat and exercise as tolerated. I wish you well. Keep me updated with your progress and any further concerns. Dr. Ditah, MD.