What could be the cause for Pectus Excavatum?

I have just found out I have mild Pectus Excavatum, I am 54/ female and wondering if this is something that will progress ? My doctor noted a wheeze in my chest and that I have a cough, my chest also feels tight, this has been going on for a few months and the X-Ray confirmed the Excavatum. I also wonder if there may be another cause for these symptoms. I have had chest X-Rays but there was never a mention of Pectus Excavatum or perhaps it was not noticeable at the time ? apparently you are born with it ?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Anti-asthma treatment will give you relief Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. 1. Pectus Excavatum (PE) is a common congenital deformity, though deficiency of Vitamin D or Calcium during childhood or adolescence is also a common cause. It was probably not noticed by the radiologist earlier. 2. It is UNLIKELY to progress further at this age. 3. Chronic wheeze and cough (predominantly, dry cough or with minimal phlegm) is suggestive of asthma or an allergic response to some offending substance (called allergens). You will get relief with regular use of bronchodilator drugs (to widen the windpipes in the lungs) and steroids (to reduce inflammation) IN INHALED FORM (Inhalers). 4. PE compresses the lungs and thereby prevent them from expanding during inhalation of air. This tends to cause shortness of breath. It may also compress the heart, depending of the severity of PE. However, PE is UNLIKELY to cause wheeze and cough. I would advise you to under Lung Functions test to assess the extent of lung involvement. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and prescribe appropriate treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What could be the cause for Pectus Excavatum? 3 minutes later
Thank-you for your response. I am allergic to Dairy would this cause the wheeze and cough? At my age I am also concerned about my heart.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stop all foods/edibles containing lactose Detailed Answer: In that case, you should immediately stop all lactose-containing foods/edibles. However, exposure to a new allergen cannot be ruled out. Allergy to dairy products do not ordinarily cause severe wheeze and cough. You may undergo cardiac evaluation and relevant tests, such as, ECG, 2-D Echo and TMT. These tests will give your exact status of your heart. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal