What could be resons for sore and sharp pain in abdomen and tenderness under rib cage?

Hi there, I have been having problems with my abdomen lately its very sore and I have been having sharp pains all over it on the left and right side it seems to be worse on the left rather then the right but it can go right down to my lower abdomen and also around to my lower back on both sides. it also feels tender under my rib cage from time to time and my chest feels tight too. It gets worse after I eat. This has been happening for a month now all over however when I was a bit younger I had a problem where I would get sharp pains only my left but that seemed to go away now its come back and its sore all over. I am getting an ultra sounds this week but I'm very worried its something very serious like stomach cancer. Id just like some more advice on what it could be and if its possible to have cancer in my stomach or other organs being only 23.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Problems are most likely due to disease of colon Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Do not worry : it is NOT cancer. You have not mentioned if you get frequent episodes of loose stools/diarrhea; or, if you have any problems in passing urine (painful or burning sensation), are you passing urine very frequently ; nature of your appetite, presence of nausea/vomiting; bloating of abdomen. From the information given, you have either inflammation of the colon; or, kidneys' infection. I will be able to comment on the possible condition only after receiving the information asked for. A urine examination (for infection) and colonoscopy (to see for state of inner wall of colon (large intestine) will be required. Further opinion will be given on hearing back from you. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What could be resons for sore and sharp pain in abdomen and tenderness under rib cage? 24 minutes later
Hi Again Thank you for your response. I have had frequent episodes of loose stalls but they are mainly normal I usually go once a day but I can go more. My doctor has done a urine sample on me and that came back clear so he has suggested me to have an ultra sound which I am hoping nothing serious will come back.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Colonoscopic study is required Detailed Answer: OK XXXXXXX Request your doctor to prescribe :- - a 5-days' course of metronidazole or secnidazole, along with a single tablet of Albendazole 400mg may be taken. If there is no relief, - order for colonoscopy to see the inside of the large intestine. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What could be resons for sore and sharp pain in abdomen and tenderness under rib cage? 9 minutes later
Ok thank you very much, much appreciated!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most welcome, XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Well XXXXXXX You are always welcome to seek my advice, whenever required, in future. You just have to post a DIRECT QUERY, addressed personally to me. All the best. All is well with you. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal