What could be causing right sided hypertrophy in a young person with idiopathic high blood pressure? Consequences?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Young active individual with right sided hypertrophy

Hi my boyfriend is a young, healthy, active individual who has high blood pressure, as far as we know its idiopathic, he is 26. His father and grandfather both had high blood pressure around the same age. He takes lisinopril daily but it doesn’t seem to be making that big of a difference, he is very careful about monitoring his HTN. He just went for an ECG and his report shows that he has right sided hypertrophy. As I am aware that right sided hypertrophy is caused by things such as Cor Pulmonale, COPD, tears, congenital heart defects such as VSD, PE’s, etc. I guess my question is what could be causing this right sided hypertrophy in an otherwise healthy individual, who is very active? Also what could be possible consequences of the right sided hypertrophy?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 40 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Hypertension usually produces left ventricular hypertrophy. This is because the left ventricle has to do extra 'work' in pumping blood against a raised blood pressure, and the muscle thickness increases to compensate for this.

Right ventricular hypertrophy in isolation is not seen with hypertension alone. I would like you to upload the ECG to this website so that I can analyze the picture and confirm whether there is indeed right ventricular hypertrophy. The automated electronic analysis of the ECG may not always be correct.

If the ECG indeed shows RVH, then an echocardiogram is indicated to confirm the ECG finding and to identify any reasons for this. The prognosis and consequences would depend on the exact diagnosis.

I can give you a more specific answer after you upload the ECG.

Anticipating your response,

Dr RS Varma.