What could be causing persistent burping?

Dec 2012

I have started burping more often, and stomach seems to churn and and rumbles more frequently than it used to. Sometimes bring up small white pieces when I burp. I am 42 and of average height and weight. Please advise
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Abnormal swallowing of gas Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX Sorry for your troubles. Persistent burping without other symptoms such as heartburn, dyspepsia/bloating/indigestion or nausea could simply be due to an abnormal physiologic process such as too much swallowing of air or gas especially when eating or consumption of carbonated drinks such as beer, soft drinks, energy drinks or champagne, in which case the expelled gas is primarily carbon dioxide from the drink itself. Other causes of burping include food allergy (I doubt as that will require introduction of new food in your life), gallbladder problems (such as gallstones), acid reflux disease, H. pylori, and gastritis. If any of the above is not responsible, then it is possible that it might just be a simple physiologic process that is just persisting which will clear off soon enough. However, to get rid of this quickly, I suggest you take a lot of gas-free fluids such as water and avoid any carbonated drinks. Chew food properly before swallowing and avoid talking when eating. If this continues to trouble you, then I suggest you see a gastroenterologist for further medical evaluation and subsequent treatment. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah