Ask a Dentist   »  

What could be causing numbness in lips, chin and pain in the jaw bone?

My lower left lip more to the front and including my chin is numb no feeling with occasional pain in jawbone and teeth radiating up to the jaw and even the ear at nite it is the worst. I have been to 2 dentist, 2 Endodontist , and 2 oral surgeons they are sending me to a neurologist this Thursday sometimes the pain is so bad I want to go to the er at nite any thoughts my email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tooth infection,allergies, neurological,defieciens Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to the forum, There are various causes of numb lips, chin also you are facing occasional pain in the jaw bone and teeth. The most common cause can be infection in the lower front teeth or a small cyst in the jaw bone which is causing pressure on the nerve resulting in numbness in lips and chin, for this you require a thorough clinical and radiological examination (an OPG Radiograph) by an Oral Surgeon. This can also be as a result of exposure to cold temperatures, mild allergic reactions, medication side effects. Numb lips and chin can also be a sign of neuropathy in which the nerves fail to carry the signals to the brain.Neuropathy or nerve damage may lead to lack of muscle control over the lips in addition to numbness. The causes of neuropathy includes nutritional deficiencies, exposure to toxic chemicals and some disorders. Since you are having an appointment with the Neurologist this thrusday. Till then you can take temporarily pain killers. Start with a course of multivitamin suplements. Avoid any type of stress and anxiety, relax and take a sound sleep. A thorough clinical examination, evaluation, radiological examination is required for appropraite diagnosis and treatment plan. Wish you a healthy recovery, If you have any further queries feel free to ask! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: What could be causing numbness in lips, chin and pain in the jaw bone? 12 minutes later
I have had a MRI type jawbone scan to determine if there were any growths rumors etc nothing was found. They redid the last bottom tooth root canal which is also an anchor for a 4 tooth bridge after all kinds of ex rays and stuff they seemed puzzled they said they see no infection and no sign I should be in pain or numb or hurting they did suggest well we could pull that tooth but they do not think that I the answer either.
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi, Detailed Answer: Thanks for the prompt reply, I understand your concern in case of absence of any dental causes, other causes can be neurological like multiple scelorosis, trigemminal neuralgia, any type of trauma or injury to the nerve can cause such symptoms for this you have already taken an appointment with the Neurologist. Other than this can be sensitivity and allergic reactions. If there is no infection in the tooth there is no need to get it pulled, i would suggest you to take an second opinion regarding that tooth, also you can repeat with the x-ray. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Follow-up: What could be causing numbness in lips, chin and pain in the jaw bone? 2 hours later
Why does it hurt more at nite after 9pm pain runs up all the way to ear.. Is there anything I can take to make pain go away if I go to an emergency room what can they give me to take away the pain. It is unbearable. I have taken Motrin, excedremigrain, and 2 hydro codeine 5/325 still hurting throbing. Is there a blood test that they can do to see if there is an infection in my body?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 8 hours later
Brief Answer: hi, Detailed Answer: Welcome back, Pain at night can be due to neurologic disorders, if the condition is tooth related the pain increases at night due to change in posture i.e when you lie down there is increase in pressure in the tooth increase the pain simultaneously. As mentioned earlier you require a complete physical and dental examination based upon which the blood test can be performed. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give some definate daignosis. You can take a second opinion from the Oral surgeon. Wish you a healthy recovery! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.