What could be causing calcemia?

Infertility Specialist
I am 63 yr female w/high calcium levels, high triglycerides, high blood sugar ( A1c = 6.1) on crestor, slightly high Creatinine and slightly high Alkaline Phospatase. WBC slightly elevated as is platelet 432. Sodium is low as is Magnesium. I take 40 mg prilosec every day for my GERD. I am extremely sensitive to Fish, seafood, fish oil, krill oil. Also get immediate diahrrea upon ingesting any amount of sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol etc. I have very irritable bowel. I live in Wisconsin and do not get much sunshine. I take Calcium Citrate 1600 mg daily, also greek yogurt, and calcium enhanced skim milk lactose free. My DEXA scan has shown bone density osteoporotic for past 3 years. My calcium blood level last year 10.8 this year 11.1. I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily. What could be causing Calcemia? I am overweight and not very active, and am recently having memory problems and confusion. Thank you. XXXXXXX TSH is 3.140 What do you think might be causing Calcemia - high blood calcium levels? I almost forgot, I do not drink alchol, soda pop, or sweet drinks like kool aid or fruit drinks - never have. I quit smoking in 2007 and had smoked since 1980. about 1 pack a day. since 2007 I have been following an almost vegetarian diet. Very small amounts of meat, eggs. I eat some chicken, egg whites, whey protein smoothies, greek yogurt, some cheese, nuts. Only olive oil, walnut, flaxseed oils. No margarine. no butter. some coconut oil. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Brief Answer: vitamin d3 Detailed Answer: Hi Your health is excellent except for little bit of high calcium which is not bad. The reason could be your vitamin D3 5000 IU that you take daily. Since you have adequate balanced diet your calcium requirements are taken care in food. So vitamin D3 you take are extra and lead to hypercalcemia. So you can take D3 every akternate day instead of daily. This might normalise your calcium levels. Even otherwise its not serious issue. Dont worry about it. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: What could be causing calcemia? 44 hours later
Hello Dr Koregoi, That is so good to know. I was afraid that because of not being able to eat fish and not getting any sun that I needed to take a lot of D3. I will take your advice and cut back to every other or possible every 3rd day and see if that does the job. Thank you for your quick response and reassurance. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please write review Detailed Answer: Hi Please accept my answer and write a review. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol