What could be causing a dry scratchy throat?

Excellent

Question
Hi about 2 and a half week ago I develope a dry scratchy throat feeling almost like when you are dehydrated in the middle of speaking sometimes my words stop coming out. There is no soreness no cough just a scratchy and dry feeling. A few days before this occur I remember eating a lot of thai chilli pepper. But I stopped two and a half weeks ago and I'm still experiencing the symptoms
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need Physical examination, ENT, Dentist opinion Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. There are few common things which cause dry throat to be ruled out first. 1. Dehydration and very dry environment 2. decreased secretion of saliva. 3. Mouth breathing and nasal obstruction 4. Diabetes mellitus 5. Blocks in minor salivary glands 6. Stress and Depression Other conditions but not very rare are 1. Sarcoidosis 2. Sjogren's syndrome 3. Amyloidosis Even Gastro esophageal reflex Disease (GERD) can cause dry throat. As you so not have any soreness or cough, it may not be due to infection in throat. Thus i advise you to do the following procedures to rule out the some common causes. 1. ENT surgeon physical examination to rule out any nasal obstruction 2. Dentist opinion to rule out any calculus or obstruction in minor salivary glands. He may recommend x- XXXXXXX investigations. 3. Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial to rule out Diabetes mellitus. If all the above said are normal, then it may be due to GERD, Stress or Other rare diseases as i mentioned above. This needs further investigation like anti nuclear antibodies, ESR etc. and further examination. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX G

Follow-up: What could be causing a dry scratchy throat? 2 hours later
Is it acociated with lyryxn cancer because dry to where it change my voice somtime

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: No. Not common at this Age. Laryngoscope helps. Detailed Answer: Hello, Laryngeal cancer is not very common at this age. It is more common in the older age as like other cancers. Change in voice is due to dryness in the throat. Do not get worried about these symptoms. Please have ENT examination. If still suspects of cancer in larynx, a simple Laryngoscope or endoscopy by ENT specialist will be helpful to rule out things you are worried about. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX G

Follow-up: What could be causing a dry scratchy throat? 1 hour later
Last question the thai chilli pepper could that done a long term damage tosomthing in my throat i had over ten pieces

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO. Short term. Investigate for other causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, The effects of thai chilli pepper are shorterm. It may not be the cause for your dry throat and change in voice. Please consider the above possible causes which i have mentioned in earlier replies and investigate for that. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX