What could be cause of intermittent noise in ear like water in it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
I have an on and off noise in my right ear like I have water in it. I have not been swimming, but that's what it sounds like! I cannot get any water out.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Serous Otitis media (Otitis media with Effusion) Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Thanks for your query. The symptoms as mentioned in your post suggest that you might be having Otitis media (infection/inflammation of the middle ear) most probably Serous Otitis media (Otitis media with Effusion/Glue ear) In this condition, the middle ear cavity gets filled with serous fluid, resulting in bulging of tympanic membrane (eardrum) & interference with transmission of sound resulting in conductive hearing loss or on an off noise in ear. Local examination of the ear along with tests like Audiometry & Tympanometry will help in clinching the diagnosis. Depending upon this, further steps for management can be taken. So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist for further evaluation & exclusion of pathological causes for the symptoms. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Wishing you a Good Health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.

Follow-up: What could be cause of intermittent noise in ear like water in it? 2 hours later
Assuming your diagnosis is correct what are the normal treatments for this condition, and if untreated does it recede and go away over time?

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Thanks for your follow up query. The treatment is usually directed towards the underlying cause. 1. If accumulation of fluid is due to an allergic reaction, then it will be managed with antihistamine preparations. 2. In case of an infective etiology, a course of antibiotic will be helpful. 3. If a neurological cause is suspected for the symptoms, then Nervigenic agents as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplementation needs to be given. Since you are having the symptoms on & off, if untreated, it may cause further damage & permanently affect the sense of hearing. So, it will be better to get yourself examined for diagnosis of the exact cause & start treatment accordingly. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.