Ask a Urologist   »  

What could a trace of ketones and occult blood in urine be from?

What could a trace of ketones and a.trace of occult blood in urine be.from?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 days later
Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I can understand curiosity to know the cause of ketone and blood in urine analysis.
Diabetes, Prolonged fasting and fever are common cause for trace of ketone in urine.
Blood in urine is usually due to Kidney stones, and prostate pathology in men.

I would like to know details like do you have any urinary symptoms like pain, frequency of micturition, fever .Is there is any history of diabetes or prolonged fasting or vomiting?

Once we know details we can keep possible causes on our list, so that appropriate investigations and treatment can be planned.

Hope this information helps you, if you have any further query please ask I will be happy to help.
Please feel free to discuss further.

Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: What could a trace of ketones and occult blood in urine be from? 19 hours later
i took the test for a std full panel and at the time i was extremly stressed and wasnt hardly eating a thing for weeks due to fear a of a std.Everything came back neg. accept for the trace of occult blood and trace of ketones,but the lab pretty much said it wasnt a concern.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 18 minutes later
Thanks for your input,

This is good that tests for STDs are negative, as explained inadequate diet and stress could cause trace of ketone.

I would still want to know the cause of positive occult blood, if there is nothing then taking plenty of fluids and repeating test after 1 week.

Please always practice safe sex to prevent any sexually transmitted diseases.

Hope I have addressed all your concerns; please rate my answer with good review before closing this discussion.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: What could a trace of ketones and occult blood in urine be from? 3 minutes later
Ive also heard that a TRACE of blood is normal,wuold ypu agree?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 7 minutes later

In urine there should not be any blood, but traces may be normal in females near there period due to contamination.

In case of trace in urine it would be prudent to repeat the urine test with proper sample collection.

I hope this helps.
Dr,Akhilesh Dubey M.D