What could a thick, white, odorless discharge from the vagina mean?

Question
Hello I have a question lately my girlfriend has been having a thick white discharge coming out of her virgina. She thought it might have been the douche and stop using it but from time to time the white stuff comes back. There is no smell or color and she says there is no itching or burning. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 48 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query,

White,odourless discharge from the vagina is a normal phenemonon and is a part of self cleansing mechanism of the body which helps in keeping the vagina clean and healthy.The discharge varies in amount during different phases of the cycle.It increases during ovulation,pregnancy,stress and excitement.
If anytime the discharge changes in colour,consistency and is associated with any foul odour,burning and itching then it is indicative of infection.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.