What could a lump over the submandibular gland be?

I have had a lump in my neck,below my right ear and the jaw for approx 5 or 6 months,The gland is lying over the submandibular gland, and was not painfull, the Otolaryngology surgeon, inserted a needle into it twice and removed a sample of fluid which under examination showed no cells. Since my visit it has inlarged and become painful. I am on a waiting list for a CT scan, which may take a while due to the festive season. Cheers XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. The new onset of pain and irritation in the lump is very likely secondary to local inflammation caused by the procedure (fine needle aspiration) you had done, especially if it was somewhat recent. Most likely these symptoms will resolve on their own, however if they do persist/worsen or if new symptoms appear (eg, bleeding from the area or experiencing a fever) it would be best for you to inform your ENT doctor and schedule a follow-up visit sooner. In the meanwhile, you may find that ice applied to the area might help to ease the discomfort. Again, thank you for submitting your question. Sincerely, Dr. G
Follow-up: What could a lump over the submandibular gland be? 17 minutes later
For several years I have been having problems at night with burning feet, once in bed, and it has,nt eased but is now getting a numdness creeping in as well, this happens mainly in the evenings. Cheers XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Evaluation. Detailed Answer: thank you again for the question. I think it would be beneficial for you to discuss this with your doctor. I think a good physical examination and screening blood tests would be reasonable to perform to help will out possible underlying abnormalities including electrolyte abnormalities, iron deficiency or possibly fibroid dysfunction or diabetes. Many things can cause symptoms like you are describing. Thanks again for sharing your healthcare concerns with me. Dr. G