What controls the electrolyte and fluid balance of the body and how can I keep it normal?

Hi I have chest pain that is dependent on the electrolyte and fluid balance in my body. I can have it all balanced out and then drink some water to throw it all off again. What controls these mechanisms because mine are completely off balance? I know my aldosterone is low but if I don't figure something out soon my heart is gonna give out. I know this is putting lots of strain on it already.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Electrolytes play a vital role in maintaining homeostasis within the body. They help to regulate myocardial( heart muscle) and neurological function, fluid balance, oxygen delivery etc

Imbalance in the levels of the electrolytes like Potassium , calcium , Sodium and chloride can produce cardiac symptoms.Correction of the same will reverse the problems and is possible when the exact electrolyte involved and the type of disturbance in its levels is determined.

I would ask you to get a Serum electrolyte test done along with an ECG which give good insights into the exact cause for the chest pain you have.Do consult a cardiologist with the reports for appropriate treatment.Do maintain good hydration and balanced diet.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: What controls the electrolyte and fluid balance of the body and how can I keep it normal? 12 hours later
I have had 2 echos both normal and both times i had electrolytes checked they were within normal limits, yet im positive that food plays the role in the chest pain and i am also sure that its not gerd or is definately my heart. Chinese food especially will cause palpitations and severe heaviness. But every food plays a part. Satuday I was retaining fluid then if i eat something like celery with diuretic properties i will shed the water and start urinating as if my kidneys are not even really doing their part and just letting the food take control. My liver has been hurting too and i cannot tolerate alcohol or any meds for years now. If i have an underlying cirrhosis from my alpha 1 deficiency and my 4 courses of accutane in the last ten years, could that be cotributing to this. ct and ultrasound of liver appear normal but i know there is a problem.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

Well the echo will not give clue into the electro-physiological properties of the heart which are ruled by the above said electrolytes.ECG/EKG is the best.

No , the liver problem you have may not be the trigger for the heart pain suspected.

I can assure you that no heart problem causing chest pain can escape a Echo/EKG/ a stress test.I would recommend a Upper GI endoscopy to rule out the GERD as the symptoms appear typical.

Hope I answered your doubts,

If any follow up question, Kindly feel free to ask.