Ask a Dentist   »  

What cautions should I take after root canal treatment?

Hello, What cautions should i use after root canal treatment? Does smoking effect my tooth?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to the forum, Root canal treatment is a procedure in which the infected pulp tissue is removed, the tooth is completely devitalised, disinfected ans sealed to the apex... After successful root canal treatment there is absence of pain. It is necessary to put a crown over root canal treated tooth as the tooth becomes brittle and the chances of fracture increases. It is normal to have tenderness after few days of root canal treatment as the body undergoes healing process. This condition is temporary and usually countered with the help of medications. So its necessary to take the complete course of antibiotics and analgesics prescribed to you. These are certain instructions to be followed after root canal treatment: -Do not bite or chew on the restored tooth until it is restored by your Dentist. -Brush and floss the tooth regularly. -If the filling of your tooth comes out, contact to your Endodontist. -It is compulsory to place a crown over root canal treated tooth. -If there is any visible swelling or allergic reaction to medications or there is presence of pain in the tooth contact to the concerned Endodontist and get an x-ray done. Hope you find this as helpful and informative. If you have any further queries kindly let me know.. Best wishes,,, Dr. Ammara Qazi
Follow-up: What cautions should I take after root canal treatment? 17 minutes later
Hi Ammara, Your answer provides me a great idea about what is done in root canal. No offense but I already done that much research about it. I had root canal treatment for one teeth and now I don't feel any pain there. Crown is already placed there. So far i dont have any compaint about it. I want to know if I smoke does it harm the treated tooth or not? Thanks and Have a lovely Evening Ammara, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi, Detailed Answer: Welcome back, I am sorry i forgot to mention about smoking.. Well smoking effect gum health, it increases plague and calculus deposition on the tooth causes yellowish discolouration of tooth. You need to maintain a good health and brush and floss your tooth regularly inshallah you will not face any problems in the future.. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.