What causes zigzag lines in the lateral portion of eyes?

starting 20 september 2013 i have expirienced episodes of seeing bright lights, flicking light, zig zag lines (sometimes colorful) in the lateral portion of both eyes (different times) nausea, vomitting, dizziness, accompanied by temporary blindness. one episode caused permanant visual field defect in the medial quadrant of right eye. these epsisodes of vision loss are also accomanied by migraine like symptoms, such as sensitivity to light, sound and severe pain in the frontal and temporal portions of my head where i have to lay in a dark silent room and wait for it to go away. symptoms usually last for 1-3 days. sometimes i get a tingling sensation almost like pins and needles up my arm into my face. and my severe eye pain, feeling like pressure. feeling as the the room is shaking and moving. i have been headache - free my entire life until this first episode as well.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes to recent eye&migraine episodes... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Before running into conclusion that you might be having migraine attacks, I'd suggest to get further evaluation by the neurologist and to : - do sinus X-ray to exclude sinusitis (chronic inflammation/infection of the sinuses) - check by the status of your teeth by a dentist (usually infection of the teeth root are associated with such pain) - get your eyes checked by an ophtalmologist to exclude eye problems (glaucoma, vision disorder, etc.) - get a complete blood profile to check for anemia - do not stay in front of computer or TV for long times. If you should because of your work, then, do frequent breaks (try to focus in distance) - avoid alcohol, smoking or other pain-triggering foods or drinks. - drink more water to avoid dehydration as it might be another cause. All the best! Dr.Alba