What causes yellowish fluid in ear while suffering from hearing loss and hole in ear drum?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I went to see a doctor on Wednesday as I had a sore throat and headache for 3 days and then an earache on tuesday nightt. Dr put me on a Zpak which I will finish tomorrow. However thursday evening I experienced a glogged blocked feeling in my ear, and could not hear very well. Friday my ear started to drain a yellowish fluid (light color) and I'm wondering if I have a ruptured ear drum. I have many ear problems, hearing loss and have had holes in my ear drums (result of tubes) repaired at Mayo Clinic. I was just at Mayo for a checkup on 11/4 and doctor removed a cyst on my ear drum in the office. Wondering if this could have something to do with my current problem. If I have a ruptured ear drum, holes do not heal in my ears, I would need another repair and I am not looking forward to that if this is the problem. So bottom line, could something else cause drainage other than a ruptured ear drum
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to ear wax draining. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The discharge from the ear is seen most commonly due the ear wax but it is a clear discharge with no symptoms of infection. The yellowish discharge from the ear is most likely to be due to an ear infection and it can happen due to external ear canal infection or a ruptured ear drum. Since you have a blocked feeling in the ear also, it is best to get it physically examined from an ENT specialist to find out the cause. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.