What causes witish discoloration in clitoral and libia areas and vagina and anus?

Excellent

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
A few months ago, the clitoral and libia areas and underneath the vagina & anus areas have turned white and I am African American. The area underneath my vagina itches sometimes. I had my annual pap smear and the doctor suggested getting tested for lupus. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probability of senile changes Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX At your age, the presence of white patch in the perineal region (clitorial, vaginal and anal region) is suggestive of senile change due to estrogen deficiency. After menopause the level of estrogens fall and this deficiency of estrogens leads to atrophic change in the genitalia. Lupus is an autoimmune condition caused by development of antibodies against various organs. There are various manifestations of lupus like rash on face, photosensitivity, anemia, increased amounts of proteins in urine, neurological symptoms to enumerate a few symptoms. In case there is suspicion of any of these symptoms, it needs to be confirmed by anti dsDNA. However, consult a gynecologist for clinical examination of the white patch. If the lesion is due to estrogen deficiency, local estrogen therapy can treat the condition. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: What causes witish discoloration in clitoral and libia areas and vagina and anus? 24 minutes later
My gynecologist wanted to take a biopsy of this area. Do you think that is a good idea? I had an appointment with her to do this, but I canceled the appt.

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Biopsy is needed to diagnose the condition Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, A biopsy of the lesion is required to diagnose the condition. Whether it is due to senile change or some other lesion will be determined by biopsy. Please get the biopsy done as early as possible. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal