What causes widespread aches and pains involving neck,arms,back and leg?

Nov 2013

6 months back: - Blurry eyes, heavy temple pain, headache, fluid pressure feeling around ear which resulted in sinusitis all these issues resolves except commencement of neck pain - Don't know what caused it, took long courses of antibiotic Now: - Pain in palms on holding anything (even phone) - Pain in arms on lifting to shoulder level and up - Pain and weakness in elbow - Stiffness around neck not pain - Ear buzzing - Head Pressure all the time (particularly around ear area) also at base of skull sometimes, increased while talking - Trouble focusing - Numbness in right leg everyday after sitting prolong - Crackling sound in jaw, shoulder and knees - Burning sensations around neck, hands and leg area sometimes - Excessive urination - Pain at back of knees and top of foot sometimes - Sleeplessness - MInor bulging at C3-C4 and C4-C5 I got tested for all virus and lyme (it all came negative). I have a small 7mm benign adenoma behind my left thyroid lobe (suspicion of PTH), but PTH level came out normal, calcium is normal, vitamin d is low for which I am taking vitamin d supplements. My physician thinks it might be fibroglymia. Also tried various muscle relaxant, pre-gabantin, tri-gabantin, anti-depressant but not much relief. I don't know what's the issue..
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 days later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms in detail. I agree with your physician that it could be fibromyalgia, where the main feature is widespread aches and pains involving neck, arms, back and leg. We also need to exclude pinched nerves in the neck and lower back regions, which could cause neck and back pain, tingling, numbness and weakness of arms and legs. MRI scan of spine could exclude this. Finally, we need to exclude vitamin B12 deficiency. Treatment would be with medications such as pregabalin, duloxetine and milnacipran. If you have taken the correct dose of pregabalin (300 mg per day) and not benefitted, you should be started on duloxetine. In addition, physiotherapy and balneotherapy (dipping body in warm water pool) are also useful in treatment. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: