What causes whooshing sounds,pain and fuzzy sounds in the ears?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have trouble swallowing, which I've had for a couple of years. When it happens I usually vomit back up whatever is stuck. I've had my throat and asophegus scoped, but they say there is nothing to see. I have a small lump in the very centre of my throat which has been biopsied three time, and each time came back 'inconclusive'. I have a lot of burning pain in both ears, and a quiet, fuzzy sound sensation, like a radio that isn't quite on the station. I often feel and hear a loud whooshing sound in my ears. I have pain down both sides of my neck. I have something I can only describe as a 'boil' in my mouth on the upper gum. It doesn't hurt, but I am always aware of it. And it gets bigger and smaller all the time. I've had it for a couple of years as well. I am 62 years old, 5'5" tall, and from the beginning of last Oct to the end of Nov I lost over 30 lbs, and have absolutely no idea why. I was about 170 lbs to start with. I'm always in a fog and confused, and have almost no short term memory. All of a sudden my hair is starting to fall out at an alarming rate. In the last couple of years I have aged 20 years. I look so different, people don't recognize me. I have not been able to convince my GP to look at all these symptoms together. If you can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much. Bev
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Disease in throat or GI tract, ear disease Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX You are suffering from different problems of different organs. The whooshing sounds in the ears, burning pain and fuzzy sounds suggest problem in the inner ear. Inner ear is associated with hearing and maintenance of balance. Infection, inflammation, trauma or any growth in the inner ear can cause all these problems. You need to consult an ENT specialist for clinical examination, relevant investigation and diagnosis of the condition. Treatment can only instituted only when diagnosis is made. Obstruction in the throat is suggestive of some kind of growth in the throat. Endoscopy and biopsy is required to make the diagnosis. Since, these investigations are done and are inconclusive, you need to get these investigations again. Biopsy from appropriate site is required. Loss of weight is seen in chronic illnesses like tuberculosis, cancer, etc. Falling of hair can also be due to the same disease process. There is a possibility of cancer probably cancer of the throat or upper gastrointestinal tract. You need a proper examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract and throat to reach the diagnosis as early as possible. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal