Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes white string like things in my urine?

Noticed white string-like things in urine ??? What is that??
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Urinary casts or Diet changes. Urinalysis. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It usually will be Urinary casts which may be due to various reasons like underlying kidney disease, dehydration, infection . Casts are held together by a protein released by the kidney. The cloudy appearance suggests / may indicate the presence of mucus, pus, or blood. Alternatively it can be due to sediment that forms when some of the constituents of urine, such as phosphates or urates, form tiny crystals. If you dont have any foul smell, fever, burning micturition, lower abdominal pain etc you may not have any infection. Other possible causes include diet (esp. high in calcium), loss of calcium from the bones. I suggest that you submit your urine sample for an analyses so that you get a clear picture since at this age you should be very careful to avoid neglecting such observations since if left untreated any anomaly should not cause you to repent later on. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.