What causes white film in ears when suffering from swimmers ear?

ENT Specialist
My 14 year old son, over the summer had weird white things in his ear and was diagnosed with swimmers ear, then just recently he said he itched his ear and a white thing cam out, like a small grain of rice, I just looked in his ear and it looks like a white film in his ear. He says it doesn't hurt at all. Should I take him to an ENT?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may be fungus Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX There is a chance that it is fungal infection. Sometimes fungus can be present in the ear without any symptoms like pain or discharge. Was he treated adequately when he had swimmier's ear ? If he has not been treated adequately when he had swimmer's ear then there is a chance that the fungus persisted. Do not worry. It is very easy to treat fungus in the ear. All you will need is antifungal ear drops for 4 - 5 days and regular cleaning of all the debris. The skin of the ear canal is shed regularly. This skin along with ear wax can also look like a film covering the ear canal. Please take him to an ENT. Only examination can confirm the diagnosis. Feel free to follow up . Regards, Dr XXXXXXX